“The Happiest Child in Bulgaria"
(2013 - 2016)
Objective of the project:
• To attract the attention of the general public to the problems of upbringing of children, prevention of child abuse, violence and the usage of coercive disciplinary methods;
• Providing and widely promoting practical solutions, effective and easy-to-use techniques for upbringing of children among parents, including the disadvantaged Roma and economically marginalized groups, students and professionals from the medical and childcare spheres;
• Development and deployment of best child development practices (including The Happiest Baby and The Happiest Toddler of the famous worldwide Dr. Harvey Karp, who ousted dr. Spok, www.happiestbaby.com) as part of the education of hospital personnel (fact in the US and Serbia) and the pedagogical faculties of major universities
• Certification of trainers, including trainers from the Roma and disadvantaged youth from economically marginalized communities using the "Happiest Baby" method and the “Happiest toddler” child development practice. Organizing a community of educators, assisting them with organizing their own practice through courses and home visits to work with parents throughout Bulgaria to teach the methods.
About 2,5 million Bulgarians, including:
1. Parents between the age of 20 to 39 years including the disadvantaged Roma and economically marginalized groups, from the 7 largest Bulgarian cities (Sofia, St. Zagora, Plovdiv, Burgas, Varna, Ruse and Pleven);
2. Students and trainees from the childcare and healthcare spheres, between the age of 18 to 30 years;
3. Professionals working with children, between the age of 25-45 years, from the 7 largest Bulgarian cities (teachers, pediatricians, psychologists, obstetricians, medical workers, foster parents, professional caregivers, employees of children's clubs, indoor playgrounds, child-care and party centers, lactation consultants, parent educators, birth educators, doulas, yoga teachers for pregnant mothers and children, etc.)
4. The directors and managers of public and private hospitals, clinics, schools, nurseries, kindergartens, maternity hospitals, pediatric clinics, children's clubs, party centers, babysitter agencies and other caregiver organizations;
5. NGOs working with parents, children and for the prevention of child abuse.
6. NGOs working with parents and children of disadvantaged citizens from minority and economically marginalized groups.
Our goals will be achieved in two phases:
Phase One – Informational (2013)
Introducing our target audience with the method "The Happiest Baby", publishing the three books and two DVDs of Dr. Karp, certifying the first professionals on the method “The Happiest Baby”, conducting the first two seminars for parents and for professionals, with Dr. Harvey Karp. Provide a solution for dealing with crying and colicky babies and a solution to the challenges of upbringing and communication with the small child up to 5 years of age. Turning the attention of the public to the prevention of child abuse. Acquainting the people what are child abuse, psychic violence, infringing of child dignity and rights and their prevention.
1. “The Happiest Baby on the Block”, first edition - 1500 copies with a supplement “The Happiest Baby on the Block” DVD - launch in March, 2013.
2. “The Happiest Toddler on the Block", first edition - 1500 copies with a supplement “The Happiest Toddler on the Block” DVD – launch in March, 2013.
3. “The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep”, first edition - 1500 copies, launch in October, 2013.
4. “The method of Dr. Harvey Karp for Professionals” - CD ROM with education materials for the certification of professionals on the method “The Happiest Baby”, first edition - 150 units, launch in March, 2013.
5. Conducting the exam and certification of the first professionals on the method “The Happiest Baby”, at the end of February, 2013 (for those who took the test with 90% correct answers).
6. On the 31st of May, 2013 - press conference and official book launch.
7. On the 1st of June, 2013 seminar for parents: “Children come with instructions” from 0 to 5 years - a two hour lecture with dr. Karp on babies and toddlers from 09:00 am – 11:00 am, and 2 hours practice with certified professionals, estimated participants: 300 to 650 people.
8. On the 1st of June, 2013 seminar for professionals "Care, communication and upbringing of infants and children from 0 to 5 years", from 11:30 - 14:30 - lecture on babies, 15:00 – 18:00 – lecture on toddlers, 18:30 – 20:30, lecture on sleeping with Dr. Karp - estimated participants: 150 - 300 people
Phase Two – Social (2014 - 2016 and ongoing)
Expansion of our target audience and promotion throughout Bulgaria. The method will be introduced in the health care system, government and private nurseries and kindergartens and the medical, pedagogical and social faculties of public and private universities.
1. Organizing of subsequent seminars for parents and professionals, including the disadvantaged Roma and economically marginalized groups, and continuing certification for professionals in the 7 largest cities in Bulgaria.
2. Organizing seminars and certification for professionals from the state hospitals (maternity wards, neonatal clinics, etc.); state nurseries, kindergartens, the medical, pedagogical and social faculties of state and private universities and certifying professionals from organizations which target the disadvantaged Roma and economically marginalized groups.
3. We support the certified educators in the country and maintain an educational network as well as organizing regular meetings for exchanging experience in various areas of child care and parenting.
4. Developing and maintaining an online catalogue with themed products (baby dolls for educators, CDs with white noise, blankets, etc.), a calendar of upcoming trainings locally.
5. Republishing of the books and DVDs for parents. Republishing the education CD-ROM.
6. Recertification of professionals after three years.
Facts from Bulgaria >>